Saturday, August 27, 2011

12) DIY Paint Brushes



A few years ago I inherited an art room and in the process of cleaning and organizing I came across a bunch of homemade brushes. They were so simple and worked so well that I immediately fell in love. Over the next few years I frequently used them with students K-5. The other day I was trying to think of something new to add to our painting repertoire and remembered the homemade brushed. I had all the materials to make them and they are so quick and easy to make that I made a whole family of brushes. The girls loved painting with them! Both the Bee and the Bean were able to paint with them, they loved the variety of sizes and enjoyed experimenting with the different textures they could make with the brush. To make the brushes you need a foam sheet, scissors and rubber bands. Cut the foam into long strips, then along one edge use scissors to cut a fringe. You can make the fringe as thick or thin as you want, I did a variety because the width of the fringe changes the texture of the painting. Next start at one end and roll the foam strip. then use a few rubber bands around the uncut edge of the foam to create a handle for the brush. Then paint! The brushes make great patterns and textures and are so easy to clean.

1 comment:

  1. We will have to try those some time- neat! Thank you for linking up to The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete