Monday, April 30, 2012

48) Farmers Market Tour


We have been in long running dinner rut. I just can't seem to get out of it. We always eat the same things. Mostly because dinner is a hectic time of day, everyone is starting to get tired, so I make things that are easy, that I know how to make and know everyone will eat. However, this summer I am making an attempt to get out of the rut! Tomorrow is the first of May which means Summer is right around the corner, so my plan is to start our Summer Farmers Market Tour. Several of our local farmers markets are already starting to open for the season and many of the others will open in June. After spending most of the Fall and Spring checking out lots and lots of local playgrounds I thought it would be fun to spend the Summer checking out lots of local farmers markets. Over the last few years farmers markets have been cropping up all over the place in Baltimore. Some are small, some are big and I am hoping  to check out as many of them as we can. My plan is to visit the farmers market and write about our trip, just like we did with the playgrounds, but then to also try out some recipes from the ingredients we get from the farmers market. I should say right here, I am not an amazing cook, I am not a nutritionist nor do I have any real background in food. I do, however, have to feed my family and make dinner every night (even if some nights I really don't want to.) So hopefully buying some fresh, local ingredients will be just the dinner inspiration we need. As we try out some recipes, I will keep you posted about their success with both the big and little taste testers in our house. In the meantime if anyone has any favorite farmers markets or fun recipes, let me know!





1 comment:

  1. We love the Waverly market! My kids like the mixed (dried) fruit scones from Atwater's, fresh squeezed lemonade (medium sweet) from Neopol and to stop at the open space playground on 32nd street. I like the spring rolls from the thai stand. We buy our produce and most of our meat and eggs there too.

    ReplyDelete