Thursday, November 15, 2012

20) Baked Potato Soup



I was hoping to fit a few more farmer's markets into our tour but between the bad weather and our first real family virus of the winter, we didn't make it to anymore this season. Hopefully next Spring we will be able to resume the tour and get back to a few we didn't get to this fall. Despite the fact the that we are taking a hiatus from farmers market touring, I am still going to try and keep up with our farmers market tour dinners. To my surprise I have really liked doing these. Trying a new seasonal recipe every few weeks has really improved our dinner repertoire. I like trying new recipes, even when my little taste testers give it a thumbs down, and some of our most favorite dinners have come out of this project. So I hope you don't mind if I continue to share our dinner adventures and as always if anyone has any good recipes or dinner inspiration, I am all ears.
With all that said, today's recipe was kind of a bust, much to my shock. I am not sure when I will learn, but every time I make something I am totally sure they will love, nobody likes it. I thought I had a sure thing with this recipe. Potato soup, they like potatoes. Add bacon, Cheddar and onion with the interactive component of topping your own soup, how could I loose. Well, they had other ideas, they ate all the toppings but barely touched the soup or the toppings they put into the soup and only ate the chicken and fruit I served alongside the soup. Oh well, at least the grown-ups thought it was delicious. So in case all this has made the soup sound more appealing to you then it did to the Bee and Bean here is the recipe:

6 large baking potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
1 small onion
Two vegetable bullion cubes
4 cups of water
1 cup of milk or cream
salt and pepper to taste

Start by dicing a small onion (I usually add a little seasoning to the onion, I think it gives more flavor to the soup later) and saute in large soup pot with a little olive oil until soft. Then add the potatoes, bullion and water. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft. Take the soup off the heat and add slowly stir in one cup of milk or cream. Then blend till smooth with an immersion blender or regular blender. Season to taste and you are ready to eat. I added bacon, Cheddar and diced green onions as topping but you could serve with anything that goes good with a baked potato, maybe broccoli, sour cream or a little salsa.



2 comments: