Monday, November 5, 2012

19) Brussel Sprout Dippers

When I was a kid I thought Brussel sprouts were the grossest thing in the whole world. I think mostly because I always saw them boiled, which makes them slightly transparent and honestly kind of smelly. At some point as an adult I tried roasted Brussel sprouts and was amazed by how delicious they were. It's Brussel sprout season around here so I thought I would try them out on the girls to see if I can convince them they are delicious before they decide they are gross. So I checked around for a good recipe and came across this one for Crispy Brussel Sprouts with Garlic Aioli. I figured it had the crispy Brussel sprouts that I like and the dipping component that the girls always go for. 
So we started by rinsing the Brussel sprouts, always the Bee's favorite job. I then quartered the Brussel sprouts and spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Meanwhile, I pre-heated the oven to 375 degree before sprinkling the Brussel sprouts with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I quickly tossed them to coat and put them into the oven. We let the Brussel sprouts cook for about 30 minutes and I turned them once while they were cooking. When the were starting to brown and crisp, I took them out of the oven and let them cool. I didn't have time to make the aioli so I just used a dressing we had in the fridge and served the Brussel sprouts with a little dressing for the girls to dip. To my surprise the Brussel sprouts were actually pretty well received. I did serve them as a side to some pizza, which may have helped a little. They both really liked the dipping and ate quite a few. I loved the Brussel sprouts cooked this way and couldn't stop eating them.  This is a recipe we will definitely come back to!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about hating these boiled as a kid and discovering I love them roasted as an adult! My 2 year old boy will often surprise us ~ we made these as a side for a dinner we thought he'd love, and all he wanted to eat were the sprouts (even stealing them off of daddy's plate). He's done the same thing with roasted kale too.