Monday, November 5, 2012

19) Brussel Sprout Dippers


When I was a kid I thought Brussel sprouts were the grossest thing in the whole world. I think mostly because I always saw them boiled, which makes them slightly transparent and honestly kind of smelly. At some point as an adult I tried roasted Brussel sprouts and was amazed by how delicious they were. It's Brussel sprout season around here so I thought I would try them out on the girls to see if I can convince them they are delicious before they decide they are gross. So I checked around for a good recipe and came across this one for Crispy Brussel Sprouts with Garlic Aioli. I figured it had the crispy Brussel sprouts that I like and the dipping component that the girls always go for. 
So we started by rinsing the Brussel sprouts, always the Bee's favorite job. I then quartered the Brussel sprouts and spread them out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Meanwhile, I pre-heated the oven to 375 degree before sprinkling the Brussel sprouts with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I quickly tossed them to coat and put them into the oven. We let the Brussel sprouts cook for about 30 minutes and I turned them once while they were cooking. When the were starting to brown and crisp, I took them out of the oven and let them cool. I didn't have time to make the aioli so I just used a dressing we had in the fridge and served the Brussel sprouts with a little dressing for the girls to dip. To my surprise the Brussel sprouts were actually pretty well received. I did serve them as a side to some pizza, which may have helped a little. They both really liked the dipping and ate quite a few. I loved the Brussel sprouts cooked this way and couldn't stop eating them.  This is a recipe we will definitely come back to!


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about hating these boiled as a kid and discovering I love them roasted as an adult! My 2 year old boy will often surprise us ~ we made these as a side for a dinner we thought he'd love, and all he wanted to eat were the sprouts (even stealing them off of daddy's plate). He's done the same thing with roasted kale too.

    ReplyDelete