Friday, January 6, 2012

27) Take a Sick Day

Yesterday we took a sick day. While it was really only The Bean who was sick, The Bee and I were more then happy to hang out all day in our pajamas with her. After a really busy few weeks with all the holidays it was nice to just have a day of nothing. We celebrated our  sick day by staying in pj's watching The Red Balloon and eating Rice Pudding. I am not sure why but rice pudding always seems to me like the perfect thing to eat on a sick day. We actually tried a new recipe yesterday from an baby/toddler cookbook called "The Big Book Of Recipes For Babies, Toddlers and Children" By Bridget Wardley and Judy More.  The recipe calls for:
1/3 cup short grain white rice
1/4 cup light brown sugar
4tbsp golden raisins
21/2 cups of milk
2 tsp butter
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Of course I can never actually follow recipes precisely so we used basmati rice (cause that's what we had), no raisins (cause raisins in rice pudding are gross) and I used cinnamon instead of nutmeg. You mix all but the butter into a ovenproof dish, then float the butter on top and put into a 300 degree preheated oven for 2 hours. This is the slow and low method! However it was well worth the wait, The Bean and I loved it. The Bee, ate some but was not quite as sold as we were, however her loss is my gain! What is your favorite sick day food?

No comments:

Post a Comment